Monday, July 23, 2012

{ Sticks & Stones May Break My Bones, But Words Will Never Hurt Me? }

So we said this all the time as kids when someone called us names...."Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."  But as a grown up, I know that words are very powerful - and that they can be very painful. And perhaps the words that hurt the most are the words I use against myself.  "I'm such a pig, I'm disgusting, I'm so fat" etc.


These words to myself - these ugly, painful words - do nothing but erode my self-worth.  And instead of encouraging me to do good, I overeat - I binge.


I would never speak this way to another human being, yet I allow the words to be directed internally at myself?  Why?

In order to heal from the harsh, mean self-talk I have directed at myself over the years, I need to change my mind-set. In years past, when I would have a slip-up or have a no-loss week, I'd just throw up my hands and quit and berate myself for my supposed shortcomings.  But one thing I now know is that I don't have to be perfect, but I have to keep going.  So if I eat a whole bag of chips (that has happened more times than I care to admit and I will do everything in my power to make sure it never happens again) - but if it does happen, I just get right back on track the next day.  Or maybe the next minute or the next hour.

I got a bracelet last year or maybe it was the year before - one of those rubber band type things - that says "one bite at a time, one decision at a time." 


My mind - my words and my thoughts - can be a powerful weapon in my weight loss. One kind word at a time.


Until next time, friends, 


Lolly



No comments:

Post a Comment