Friday, August 3, 2012

{ Why I'm Vegan }

I have flirted with not eating meat since I was a teenager really, after a traumatic incident, but it wasn't until I was about 30 years old (I'm 47 now) that I became a true vegetarian and then only about 3-4 years ago did I transition to a vegan diet.  People always ask me why I became a vegetarian/vegan and so I thought I would share my story on this blog.
I was raised eating meat like so many others and I always finished my dinner - eating everything on my plate - like a good girl.  We didn't have much money growing up, so I learned to appreciate what was on my plate.  However, I have ALWAYS had an affinity for animals (I actually like them more than most people!) so even as a child never wanted to talk about what I was actually eating.


When I was a teenager, I would spend a few days each summer at my friends house in the country.  One summer, they had the cutest pet pigs, Petunia and Oinky (you can probably see where this is going).  Those pigs were so cute and gave me lots of joy talking to them and playing with them.  One evening, we were having breakfast for dinner - eggs, bacon, toast.  I complimented my friends mom on the great meal, and she said "Petunia tastes really good, doesn't she?".  Oh. My. God.  That night traumatized me and I have really never been the same.  I stopped eating pig at that point.


I would flirt with vegetarianism for years, but it wasn't until I was almost 30 years old that I read an expose article that described exactly how cows were slaughtered WHILE THEY WERE STILL AWAKE AND BLINKING.  That was it for me.  I haven't had meat since then and will never go back.
For years I wanted to go vegan but was convinced that I just couldn't give up my cheese and eggs  - although, honestly, I think that was more my "fat girl" mentality than any real love for those food items.  Finally, about 3 or 4 years ago, I decided that my love of animals is so much more than any love of cheese or eggs. At that time, I became fully awake and began my vegan journey.  I have never looked back.


I feel that on that Spring day when I chose to live a vegan lifestyle and honor animals, I took compassionate control of my life.


I don't push my veganism on my omnivore friends or family, but if asked, I WILL ALWAYS give my two cents.  I don't ever want anyone to feel bad about themselves and what they eat, but I do want to give them knowledge.  I do know that as easy as the change was for me, I also know that it IS a HUGE lifestyle change and not everyone can do it cold turkey (poor choice of words).   But knowledge is power.


Now my job is to lose all this weight and be a healthy vegan - an even better way to spread my message of the joys and benefits of a vegan diet.
Until next time, friends,  

Lolly

1 comment:

  1. While I am not vegan, I so understand the impact that those things can have on our eating choices.
    Thanks for stopping by and welcome to the blogging world. I will be dropping in to peek in on your progress and hope to see you around my part of the blog land

    ReplyDelete